In the mainstream media, the British Open has been followed with admiration since 1860. In what are some of the toughest conditions on steep, narrow fairways, on greens as hard as pool tables, you’ll find the best in the world, and they can crash at any time. or, if not, achieve unforgettable feats.
Among the seniors – those aged 50 or over – we give the opportunity to all professionals who want to try to do the Cut, How do you say. Five hundred players from all over the world and spread over four courts will try to play for 72, the minimum score to qualify for the great competition.
Jean Laforce, 63, a professional at the Montcalm club (Saint-Liguori), is a regular. He has participated ten times. And this year, he presented himself with two colleagues, who are also friends: Serge Bernier, a professional in Vaudreuil, and Ben Boudreault, a professional at the Parcours du Cerf in Longueuil for 32 years.
For them it is a great challenge, but at the same time it is practically a fantasy to play in the atmosphere of the oldest golf tournament in the world. For the big British Open, the total purse was $14 million this year. For the older ones, two million.
THE BIG STAGE
In old Scotland, Serge, Jean and Ben were like children in a toy store. Even if they don’t play on the top five courts in the world, they try similar ones, Links by the sea, and they can also walk where the Woods, Nicklaus, Treviño, Player, Watson, Jones and other great champions have “scored”.
For golf lovers, the experience is wonderful and unforgettable. It is here in the UK that we find the deepest roots of golf. Our golfers have sponsors, of course, but they also pay out of pocket to get closer to their dream. They really have fun.
That said, something unexpected will happen. First, Serge Bernier reported a card of 81 and could not qualify. Jean Laforce played for 76, also disqualified, and furthermore, Jean announced at the end of his match that he was withdrawing from the competition.
And Ben Boudreault? Shortly before the qualifying round, he suffered a sudden upset stomach. He decides to rest in the hotel. He is better, but not for long. The next day, Ben suffers a devastating heart attack, while he was alone in his room. He himself will call the ambulance, which will take more than an hour to reach the hospital.
Are you sure. Ben, always calm and smiling, is doing better and should return to Montreal tomorrow after undergoing a battery of tests. One artery, in particular, is 49% blocked, but the man has been medicated.
His good friend Jean Laforce extended her stay to stay with him. Ben brought his good humor back after being scared to death.
A question we all ask ourselves.
Yes, Ben was well insured with the Cruz Azul and he will be back soon at the Parcours du Cerf de Longueuil to tell you that he did, in fact, play in the Links from Scotland, but never had a chance to qualify for the Senior British Open. Next year, maybe.
of the enclave
- Champagne, beer, etc. It all happened in the Stanley Cup and, last week, the defender Jack Johnson, of the Avalanche, kept the promise he made to his three children. They and their friends ate the ice cream that filled the trophy to the brim.
- Pier Alexandre Poulin he is the brother of the champion Marie Philip Poulin, who has just been hired as a development consultant at the Canadiens. Meanwhile, Pier-Alexandre has just been hired as an amateur scout by the Vancouver Canucks.
- leylah fernandez he’s wild in his Subway commercials. When you get it, the deal… as Elvis Gratton would say.
- Hayden Latendresse14, is 6’1″ and three-quarters tall. Accuracy is important because he is a quarter inch short of his father Guillaume.me.
- The Taverne Moderne St-Paul (La Prairie) team receiving ball now has a record of eight wins and only one loss in the Japanese league. I must say that the instructor Anthony O’Malley it is extremely serious.
- Patrice Bergeron party today. The old man is 37 years old and still has a lot of juice left in the tank. What an athlete! Drafted in the second round, at 45me rank, by Boston in 2003. Before, at 10me Montreal had drafted Andrei Kostitsyne and, hold on tight, Cory Urquhart in 40me Echelon, who has never played a single game in the NHL.
- Wayne Gretzky he coached the Coyotes for four years and never made the playoffs behind the bench.
- The first women’s Tour de France starts today.
- condolences to Annie-Pelletier, who lost his mother last week.
- The new coach of the Boston Bruins, Jim Montgomery, He already trained the new Canadian Mike Matheson in Dubuque (Ohio) in the 2011-2012 season, when the Pointe-Claire defender was only 17 years old.
#Bens #heart #Scotland