'Double occupancy' weeds out harassing candidates

‘Double occupancy’ weeds out harassing candidates

Under fire from critics from viewers for days and released by various sponsors on Wednesday, the production ofdouble occupancy (OD) announced the withdrawal of three candidates who had intimidated other participants since the beginning of their 16me Season in Martinique.

The announcement was made Wednesday in a press release. “The candidates and their families will be supervised and supported to face this turnaround”, she underlines. ToRoS productions has indicated to the To have to that the candidates in question are Philippe, Isaack and Felix. It is specified that Felix had already been eliminated in the game by the other candidates. But since there is a three-week delay between the filming and broadcast of the episodes, viewers will only see these events in the next few weeks.

Let us remember that since last week, fans of the popular reality show broadcast by Noovo accuse the production of having trivialized the intimidation of which the candidate Jonathan would have been a victim by other participants to inflate his ratings.

The show’s producer, Julie Snyder, apologized to the candidate last Wednesday, and her team announced Sunday that contestants will soon receive training in “nonviolent communication.” This will be given in the coming days by the author and screenwriter India Desjardins, as well as the professor of didactics at UQAM and expert in intimidation Stéphane Villeneuve. On our pages, the latter recalled last week the social role that reality television should play and urged production to measure the impact of the images and messages it transmits.

This did not change the anger of viewers who continued to criticize the production and the candidates considered “problematic” on social networks. This also didn’t stop certain backers on Wednesday from wanting to disassociate themselves from the show.

“We believe that bullying has no place in society or on television for any reason. We also believe that respect, well-being and cohesion should come first,” the Shop Santé team said on their social media on Wednesday morning, announcing the end of their partnership with reality television.

Bound by legal obligations, the sports supplement company clarified that it could not put an end to its partnership “immediately”, but assured that it would not renew the agreement “for all the seasons to come”.

In the process, other sponsors of the show also announced that they would end their association with OD for future seasons, citing the same reasons as Shop Santé. These are the clothing brand Oraki and the mattress company Polysleep.

Food box delivery company Cook It, also a partner, told the To have to “to be in reflection on the subject”. However, she wanted to “condemn the intimidating actions of certain candidates” from the show.

For its part, the Lambert handbag brand intends to continue its alliance with OD but denounces “any harassing conduct.”

for this 16me edition, OD has about thirty business partners.

“Foreseeable”

According to experts consulted by Duty, the OD production reaction was predictable. “There was already criticism from viewers, but there, with sponsors dropping them one after another, there was clearly a lot of pressure on the show. They need this money, they don’t offer visibility to brands for fun”, says Caroline Lacroix, professor of marketing at the Faculty of Administrative Sciences of the UQAM.

She says that she understands the decision of some sponsors to want to disassociate themselves from the program. “This shows that our companies have certain social values ​​deep down, it’s good news that they react like this,” says the professor, although she would have found it “interesting” to see the partners sit down with production to find solutions and be together “agents of change”.

However, these social values ​​are constantly changing over time and reality shows must adapt to avoid this clamor, emphasizes Pierre Barrette, professor at the UQAM School of Media.

“That for which we have tolerance, or not, is transformed. In the ’70s and ’80s, people were offended by seeing a bare chest on a Janette Bertrand show. Two men holding hands, she created a ruckus. Today we no longer have a problem with that, it is well accepted. But we move our moral line elsewhere, “argues the TV specialist.

Since the #MeToo movement, for example, society no longer tolerates all forms of violence, adds M.me The cross.

One thing is certain, according to Mr. Barrette, this strong clash will probably lead the OD production to “question”, both about the choice of its candidates, and about what it really wants to offer as a “show”. “Controversies are the bread and butter of shows like OD. We like it, and when there is nothing to criticize, we find it boring. The challenge is to find a happy middle ground.”

to see on video


#Double #occupancy #weeds #harassing #candidates

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *