Meningitis: serious cases follow after the arrival of a new variant, great panic

The health authorities are beginning to worry about the situation in Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes. The new meningococcal variant B It has affected many young people between the ages of 16 and 21. After the death of a student, the ARS launches a vaccination campaign against meningitis.

Meningitis can be deadly

In recent months, the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region has recorded 26 cases of meningitis. Among them, twelve people are victims of a new variant of meningococcus B. The bacteria had mainly infected young people between 16 and 21 years old. Among the victims, a young student from the Chambéry region was killed.

The health authorities have also confirmed two serious cases of meningococcus B. The regional health agency is attentive to the progression of this new variant. According to the professor of infectology at Grenoble, Jean-Paul Stahl, meningococcus B not known to cause an epidemic.

Rather, forms A and C are often responsible for epidemics. The professor explained that meningococcus B caused 15% of deaths. And that in just a few hours.

“You have to take it very seriously,” he said in the columns of Le Parisien.

When the bacteria infect a person, the latter may have severe symptoms. It can be severe headaches, stiffness and vomiting. The patient may have red or purple spots on the body.

A disturbing specificity

The new variant detected in Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes has a more disturbing specificity. According to specialists, even babies under 2 years of age can get it. For babies, the symptoms of meningitis are not easy to spot. When the baby shows unusual behavior, parents should immediately contact a doctor.

You may cry incessantly and become irritable for no apparent reason. He may also be unusually sleepy and seem a little “loose” or downcast. If the baby has meningitis, she may begin to lose her appetite and refuse to feed. Parents must also check the baby’s complexion if your complexion ever turns gray or mottled.

The ARS launched the vaccination campaign

According to the ARS, cases of meningococcus B are now a concern about 205 municipalities Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes. Among those from the East of Lyon, Colombier-Saugnieu, Pusignan, Meyzieu, Jons and Jonage can be mentioned.

To control the spread of the disease, the health authorities of Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes invite the inhabitants to be vaccinated. This vaccination campaign concerns almost 56,000 people. Parents of children under two years of age and young people between the ages of 16 and 24 have received a letter. They can contact their doctor or pediatrician.

The ARS specifies that vaccination includes a first shot and a booster after at least four weeks. Health insurance will take care refund 65% vaccine costs. The mutual will reimburse the remaining 35%. Those who have doubts about the vaccination campaign can contact the 0 800 100 378.

Evolutions of bacterial meningitis

Meningococcus B is a form of bacterial meningitis. The transmission of the bacteria is transmitted through saliva or through the air. A sick person can transmit it to a healthy person by cough or sputum. Therefore, it is not prudent to remain in close and prolonged contact with a patient.

In fact, after an infection of this bacterium, hospitalization of the patient is essential. The patient you should get treatment as soon as possible based on antibiotics. This is to prevent death or a complication of the disease. Meningitis can leave serious sequelae in the patient.

If the infection becomes more complicated, the abscesses may appear in the brain. This complication can arise if treatment is late or if the germs are resistant to drugs.

Hydrocephalus or increased pressure of the cerebrospinal fluid may also occur. When the pressure of this fluid that circulates through our brain increases, dilation of the brain cavities can arise. This is already considered a very serious complication.

If meningococcal bacteria infect a child, the child may end up visually impaired or deaf. Even after years, the child may have attention problems and learning difficulties. Note that this type of case affects almost 20% of people who have ever suffered from meningitis.

#Meningitis #cases #follow #arrival #variant #great #panic

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *