This panel is presented by dan trufin Y Thorsten Leiman, two designers from the Frankfurt studio of Cloud Imperium Games. They work on a fundamental system of Star Citizen: resource management.
What’s the use?
Resource management is used to give depth to the universe from Star Citizen and provide play opportunities.
Thus, we can consider that resource management is one of the fundamental bricks of the crew game, since it is through it that the captains, engineers, mechanics, firefighters and other roles will have to work together to keep the ship functional. even in the middle of a fight. she goes private increase the time it takes to destroy a device (time to kill) and encourage players to disable or neutralize it instead, then board.
But it should be understood that this system will not be limited to the only vehicles of the players. It can also be found in their bases, on space stations, in underground facilities, and in cities. Therefore, everywhere it will be possible to interfere in the management of resources or manipulate them to produce the desired effects. So it will be a means to achieve your goal, even on missions.
It is therefore a system that will be fundamental and omnipresent in the universe.
What is it about ?
Resource management simulates all the cables, pipes, tanks, batteries, relays, components, and ECUs that produce, transport, and consume resources. Breathing air, the energy that powers components, coolants, fuels, and data are examples of resources that pass through or are stored on a ship.
The player will be able to interact with these elements through software interfaces, such as flight engineer consolesor opening technical hatches on the walls of ships or buildings.
The developers divide resource management into 6 pillars:
- survival functions (temperature, air)
- maintenance (change components, repair them, put improvised components, etc.)
- the relays
- access management (according to people or roles)
- the gravity
What has already been done?
The developers have developed a working prototype based on a Hammerhead, where the elements are not permanently integrated, but functional. We find :
- Activating and deactivating elements
- The definition of the consumption priorities of the elements
- The definition of the energy circulation through the relays.
- The ability to remove a relay to disable whatever is behind it.
- A survival component (vital support) that provides breathable air. It can be controlled directly or remotely to blow air out or put it back in, room by room, to extinguish fires or suffocate people.
- Gravity Modification: Low, Normal, Off
This already offers opportunities for sabotage or assassination. For example, you can sabotage a ship by removing the relays that power the shields to make it vulnerable.
Which are the next steps ?
Since it is a colossal system, the developers plan to release it in several iterations. The first must have the following perimeter:
- interactive elements on ships
- relay game
- relay fuse maintenance
- Resource management
- the definition of control groups in the multifunction screens
- create saved configurations
- an interface for flight engineers
- a screen for engineers
#Star #Citizen #CitizenCon #Power #Play